Thursday, January 5, 2023

The Queen Elizabeth II Canadian Platinum Jubilee emblem

At a ceremony just before Christmas, I was very honoured to receive the Queen Elizabeth II Canadian Platinum Jubilee emblem from our MP Yasir Naqvi.


The letter I received stated: "As Member of Parliament for Ottawa Centre, I would like to thank you on your extensive community service as a volunteer, and honour you with the Canadian Platinum Jubilee emblem that was created to mark the 70th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the Throne. Please, find more details on the emblem through this link: www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/campaigns/platinum-jubilee/emblem.html. 

Her Majesty will be remembered for her dedication to public service and strong support for charitable organizations. She had an admiration for community volunteers, such as yourself. Thank you for your compassion, dedication, and commitment to serve our community. You have demonstrated how our community is there for one another, and Ottawa is a better place because of it."

What an incredible honour to have been considered for this Emblem, and I considered myself extremely fortunate to share in receiving this along with a who's-who of community leaders within Ottawa Centre. I am very appreciative for this recognition, and will continue to strive to do this local history work that I love, in the hope that it continues to be of some benefit to others, and keep alive the stories and legacies of so many important people and events in our community's past. I do this out of a natural love for my neighbourhood, but also to honour the love of home and community that my parents and grandparents instilled in me, and which I hopefully instill in my children too. 

3 comments:

  1. Bravo, Dave! Congratulations on a well deserved award. I know your late family members would be so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across this website when I was looking into the old house on Albert St. where the Scone Witch used to be. All the posts are incredible. So well researched and with excellent photos! I tried to subscribe but I'm not familiar with Atom (when I click the link, it opens to a page of html text or something). Anyway I'll definitely be bookmarking this website! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete