Friday, December 17, 2021

Christmas in Westboro 1899!

Merry Christmas! In this month's new issue of the Kitchissippi Times, I've done another article similar to what I did last year, in that I've tried to bring back a long ago Christmas of the past, to bring alive an era in early local history. Last year I wrote about what Christmas in Hintonburg in 1880 would have looked like (click here for the article), and I loved researching and writing that column. So much so that I copied the idea to write about Christmas in Westboro in 1899. 

You'll see that the year 1899 isn't just a random year I selected - it was perhaps THE pivotal year when Westboro changed from a little quiet hamlet on Richmond Road to becoming the thriving neighbourhood that it quickly became. And I love to compare all the pieces of an 1899 Christmas that still are relatable today. 

Lots of local tidbits in this piece. I hope you'll have a read. All the best to you and your family.

Read the article here: https://kitchissippi.com/2021/12/10/change-in-the-air-christmastime-in-1899-westboro/

(Source: NY Public Library victorian era postcard)

No comments:

Post a Comment